Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. They’re a gluten-free whole grain and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Many studies show that oats and oatmeal have many health benefits. These include weight loss, lower blood sugar levels and a reduced risk of heart disease.
What Are Oats and Oatmeal?
Oats are a whole-grain food, known scientifically as Avena sativa. Oat groats, the most intact and whole form of oats, take a long time to cook.The whole oat kernels that have been cleaned, with only the loose, inedible hulls removed. Groats contain the intact germ, endosperm, and bran. Oat bran, which contains the most fiber in a groat, is also removed and eaten as a cereal or added to recipes to boost fiber content. For this reason, most people prefer rolled, crushed or steel-cut oats. Instant (quick) oats are the most highly processed variety. While they take the shortest time to cook, the texture may be mushy. Oats are commonly eaten for breakfast as oatmeal, which is made by boiling oats in water or milk. Oatmeal is often referred to as porridge. They’re also often included in muffins, granola bars, cookies and other baked goods.
Here are 9 evidence-based health benefits of eating oats and oatmeal.
- Oats are nutritious for health.
- Oats can improve our blood sugar control.
- Oatmeal contains all kind of nutritious like vitamin B5, vitamin B1, copper, iron.
- Oats contains more of protein and minerals to our human body .
- Oat meal helps in reducing the blood pressure.
- Oats are good for people having lower blood cholesterol so that it doesn’t get damage.
- Oatmeal are very filling healthy breakfast meal for everyone especially for diabetes and who contains insulin.
- Few people think how do they incorporate oats into their diet. You can follow a few ways like its a simple way .1/2 cup Quaker oats, 1cup of water or milk (Room temperature) lastly pinch of salt cook these altogether in a pot and boil then you can add fruits, nuts or yogurt the choice depends on you on your taste buds.
- Oats also helps in decreasing constipation for elderly people.
Recipe: Oatmeal Cookies
There’s nothing quite like a batch of homemade Oatmeal Cookies. These oatmeal cookies are very moist with a good flavor. Add a cup of raisins or nuts if you desire. Please find the recipe in the link below to make your own healthy oatmeal cookies at home.